Blogging 101

Thursday, November 20, 2008

DPS Report

Every Tuesday and Thursday, we all flip through the Marquette Tribune. Like most students, one of my favorite sections to read it the DPS reports. Most of the stories are funny, and we all laugh at the stupidity of some students. Other stories really highlight that Marquette is an urban campus, and there are robberies that happen all the time. Although as students we usually do not think much of the ridiculous stories of "a 19-year-old male getting caught with false identification, and a green leafy substance" or "a 21-year-old female getting her unsecured, unattended ipod stolen," what does an outsider think of this? Although the readership of the Tribune is mostly students, faculty, and staff, there is also a large alumni reader base. Does posting these stories create good PR for these outsiders? Especially alumni who may have high school students considering attending Marquette? Will reading these reports change their mind about sending their own children to Marquette? Although I do enjoy reading the bi-weekly DPS reports, I wonder what a non-Marquette affiliate thinks of Marquette after reading such reports.

2 comments:

Gee said...

Hayley,
I don't think it's the Tribune's role to be a PR arm of the university, same thing that U.S. newspapers would not only report nice things about the U.S. government or elected officials. Granted that Marquette does own the student media, the true role of the student-run newspaper is to report campus news, events, etc., good and bad. The last thing student journalists should be concerned is the university image. Let people at the office of marketing communication handle that!

H W said...

I agree with you completely. And I know the target outside of the Marquette student body and faculty is so small that it is not even an issue. I was just curious to see what other students thought about the subject.