I stumbled upon an article on CNN the other day titled, "How Schools Stifle Creativity" - it grabbed my attention because one normally wouldn't think his/her education diminished his/her creativity. I decided to read the article and watch the video commentary and was enlightened by what had been said.
The speaker in the video, Sir Ken Robinson, talked about the difference between one's academic ability and his/her creative ability. He pointed out how our education system (worldwide) has a hierachy of subjects, beginning with mathematics and literature then to humanities then the arts and drama. If you remember, just a few years ago many public schools suffered huge budget cuts and the very FIRST programs to go were music and art. For someone like me, to not have choir or a moment in my day to express myself in the way I most enjoy would have been devasting. Who says that these programs are any less important than anything else we're taught?
Sir Robinson briefly mentioned the overdiagnosis of children with ADHD. The story he shares in the video of a friend of his was very enlightening. Just because a child may not learn the same way as everyone else, talks too much, moves around a lot, finds excitement in drawing on their notebook more than doing math problems doesn't mean s/he needs to be medicated, that is how s/he chooses to express himself. Creativity is the driving force behind one's imagination, a world without imagination seems unbearable to me. School is not for everyone, especially the highest education, so who says it needs to be a requirement to have a BA, MA, or even PhD to be considered "smart"?
Watch the video and form your own opinion: http://www.cnn.com/2009/OPINION/11/03/robinson.schools.stifle.creativity/index.html
This class blog provides a forum for PR students to practice their blog writing and learn more about social media in PR practice.
Wednesday, November 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Labels
ADPR
Bing
Blogging
blogs
Blogs Twitter
car accident
careers
class
Dr. Pepper
election
facebook
fashion
Google
Homeless
homework
issue management
LinkedIn
LLC
Mad Men
MarketWire
Marquette University
media
microblog
MUSG
Paige
PitchEngine
Post # 1
PR Writing
presidential
Public Relations
SEO
Sesame Street
social media
social media monitoring
Tiger Woods
Troughton
Tumblr
Twitter
VoxPop Public Relations
VW
wisconsin humane society
writing
1 comment:
I think this is one of societies' many downfalls! We create so many stereotypes and live by the tradition of our society that defines what is acceptable and important in society to focus on. It reminds me of a discussion I recently had in one of my sociology classes about how we have this notion that men have precedence over women. Since this is the stereotype, women may act "dumber" than they really are in front of a guy to "impress" him and reinforce that stereotype. It is something that is ingrained in us and many times it seems natural to us for it to be that way.
I think that societies' idea that art and creativity are not as important, those who are creative have scarce chances to be able to show their skills and abilities. Like those with ADHD it is used against them as a handicap that the way they express themselves is wrong, it's not normal because it is against society norms.
Instead of programs including creativity being cut out, schools need to broaden their horizons and give ample opportunity for those to express themselves the way they know best! I agree that a certain degree does not always prove that that's what makes someone smart! I envy those who have creative talent, it's something that I couldn't do! I think it's another way to show the diverse intelligence and aspects of our culture!
Post a Comment