Blogging 101

Friday, November 7, 2008

The Rep wants to know: what marketing techniques work for our age demographic?


A special message from Rep Resident Acting Company Member Jim Pickering
(in costume as James Conover from this season's production of
STATE OF THE UNION)
"I want YOU to come see a show at The Rep!"
I'm currently an intern at Milwaukee Repertory Theater working on a college initiative in order to get more students to come to shows. We already offer a GREAT discount ($10.00 tickets!), but I am trying to come up with more ways that will get students to see the shows.


S0 I have a few questions for you... (reply in comments please):

~What incentives would draw you to see a show at Milwaukee Rep?


~What publicity or special offers would catch your eye and make you want to know more?


~What promotions on campus have you viewed as successful? (i.e. everyfanatic.com; Obama, etc.)
~Would special events and free food increase your willingness to come see a show?

3 comments:

bex said...

Class extra credit is a great way to get a crowd! So by making Professors aware of things that might fit into their classes it could be very helpful.
I didn't realize that tickets were $10, so promoting that more.
Publicity that makes me notice a show is facebook, usually I would not look at the theatre's season, just because there are so many theatres in the area, so I usually only check the Marquette and the Marcus Center seasons.
Sample the City is probably my favorite way of learning about new things in the city.

K said...

I would be drawn to see a show at the Rep if the discounted tickets were promoted. Also, since it is a bit far away from campus, maybe a shuttle service could be provided to one showing.

In terms of publicity, I think that utilizing social-networking sites is best. Facebook is a great option and reaches the masses.

Free food would definitely increase any college student's willigness to come! Maybe some small appetizers before/after the show?

Kathryn M said...

The previous comments are very good! (Shuttles and extra credit) I think a great way to promote the theater is to not mention the theater at all in the ads. This is only for the sake of making a person wonder what the ad is for. By having an ad that doesn't say what it is for (but with a catchy line) it will lead a person to a website. At that point, all of the info is there for the person to learn about the theater! Just and idea!