Blogging 101

Thursday, September 3, 2009

What Writing Means to Me

9/3/09 11:28 a.m.
Jackie Steuter, Marquette University Student

Since junior high I always used writing as a way to express things I felt uncomfortable saying in person. From writing cards to my parents saying how much I appreciate them- still have a hard time saying that one in person- to journaling my massive frustrations that I wanted private, writing, in many ways, saved me from insanity.

In high school I joined the speech team and soon found myself in the persuasive category as well as the extemporaneous speaking sect-a.k.a. the "nerd" group. Both events made me realize writing's importance to making a point heard. My writing has improved tremendously from my speech experience, and since I have been in college, it has made even more leaps and bounds.

I have been involved in a couple internships- one with the Marquette Athletic Department and another with the Make-A-Wish Foundation of Wisconsin- that have emphasized the need for quality writing skills in the work place. Having an idea or a concept and being able to express it clearly and in a concise and catchy manner is a task often underestimated. In this way, being able to develop better writing skills also improves the way you organize your thoughts, which helps the message of your writing appear more strongly throughout the piece.

Writing is something I really enjoy, if I have the time to concentrate. I also think it's helped me a ton in becoming a more polished future employee, or at least I hope.

No comments: