After looking through the website I was shocked to find many people that I know under very degrading topics. I feel that this website is very bad PR for Marquette University and many of the students that attend our school. If future employers find out about this website they make look under it to find out further information about a potential employee, just like many employers are doing with facebook.
I feel that sites such as this should be banned from the internet because our focus as students should be studying and trying to better ourselves for the future, not writing hurtful comments about our peers and wasting our time on websites such as this one.
10 comments:
I have heard about this website as well and agree with what you say about it. This website hurts a lot of people and there is no accountability for those posting these things.
I have seen the site, and I agree it is disrespectful and degrading. However, the internet thus far is an unrestricted medium. Since the Internet has the same level of first amendment protections as any other written piece, it would be unconstitutional for the government to ban such a site. I guess we just have to take the good with the bad when it comes to our freedom of speech.
I have not heard of this web site, but I agree that sites like this, whose focus is on degrading people and ruining reputations is unnecessary. However, other sites that are similar but are made to help others, such as ratemyprofessor.com I find helpful. Many of my friends use that site to decide who to take for certain classes, so the intention for that site is not to degrade people, but to help them make class decisions. I think people's intentions play a huge role in the meaning behind certain web sites.
I have also seen the website and feel it is extremely disrespectful. As students of Marquette we should support one another rather then bash one another behind a computer screen. The website if hurtful to many and hopefully one day it will be off the internet completely.
I had never heard about this website until a few weeks ago. I completely agree that it is a degrading website for many people. People will always make assumptions but when there is a "bashing" website written about all the bad and no good, this is a very disrespectful. I also agree that not only does it hurt the students nationwide who are on the website but it gives bad PR for Marquette University itself.
I'm aware of this website, and I think it a horrible example of PR gone WRONG!
The slanderous statements being tossed around anonymously on this site illustrate how people's opinions can snowball into creating a bad image of others--and Marquette University as a whole.
I completely agree! I've also browsed this website. I first looked at it awhile ago before Marquette had it. I looked at UW-Whitewater. I also knew a few people they were talking about. Then when I found out Marquette had it I browsed our site too, and found more people I knew. The things said are completely ridiculous and hurtful! If the comments made are true or not doesn't matter. People should not be talked about in ways like this. I could not even imagine how I would feel if I would look at this site just to see a whole conversation about myself. People who are talked about negatively should not stress about what is said about them, because it is a ridiculous website run by people with no lives. Nothing good can come out of sites like juicycampus.com, and I see no reason for them to even exist.
Juicycampus.com exemplifies a common ethical debate in public relations. While the website is clearly is distasteful, its elimination would clearly be a restriction of the First Amendment. Thus, we must rely on the users and public at large to bring an end to juicycampus.com. Part of the problem is that the public frequents these sites and chooses to use them. We should stop fueling the engine. It is partially up to us to bring about greater ethical behavior in the communications industry.
When I first went on this website I was shocked. It is horrible that people are allowed to anonymously attack other people without leaving them much room to defend themselves. To me it seems like a legal issue and sites like this should be banned. These people are not famous and it is unfair to "bash" them as kara said. Even in positive categories such as prettiest on campus, students will list another students name, only to have others refute the comments and say something negative. Sites like this can seriously hurt someone and impune their character even if they didn't ask for it.
I have never heard about this website before, but taking a look at it, it's disgusting. Not only does it embarrass those who get "bashed," but it definitely is degrading to Marquette's reputation as a whole.
Going off of Cara's point referring to the First Amendment... can this be considered libelous? In another class of mine, we are currently learning about libel and what is considered libelous or not. It IS published material, if the person's name is given there is identification, most of the material is obviously defamatory... if what's published is proven to be a lie, could this be taken to court as a libel case?
Post a Comment