Blogging 101

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Letter to a Friend

Sarah,

I am well aware of your disappointment in my choice of education, but I would like you to know that the profession I have chosen to take is an extremely good one. There have been many times that you have tried to dissuade me into not studying public relations because of your belief that all people in PR are just a bunch of liars and scumbags. However, while continuing my education in PR I have been able to see for myself that this field is not as bad as you make it seem. Public relations are actually a necessity to any company or organization and it helps in many positive ways.

There are many ways of defining just what public relations is. A simple definition may be that public relations is just the way to associate goodwill toward an individual, cause, or company. However, I believe that the most important aspect of that definition is how exactly public relations is able to do just that. Public relations practitioners are able to generate goodwill by understanding the organization and its publics. They build a bridge between the public and the organization; a bridge that enables the flow between ideas and opinions.

It is this act of finding an understanding in the public that allows the field of public relations to be positive to any organization. It is also because of this that I have decided to continue in the field of PR.

Thanks,

Cristal

No comments: