Blogging 101

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Learning to "Tweet"

After using Twitter for about a week and a half, I am torn on the usefulness of the social media site. I had fun using Twitter and "tweeting" updates on my life and interesting news. While I enjoyed updating the world on my activities, I'm not sure those updates were at all useful to anyone. I can see the possibility for Twitter to be very useful in spreading news and for public relations, but some people hinder this possibility by abusing their "tweeting" abilities. Some people update many, many times each day with information that is not all that interesting. I think they are creating a "tweeter who cried wolf" syndrome. When they have something important to say, no one may be listening.
That said, I like Twitter overall and do find some great links in others' posts. I don't plan on updating very often, but I will maintain my account and read up on the posts of those I follow. I think this will be valuable because, as a communications student, I need to understand social media and how to use it properly. I also will learn about new social media sites, other sites and news.

2 comments:

Sarah Biermann said...

I agree with you. I don't really "get" the importance of twitter. I kind of feel like it's overdone and has to much hype to it. Like you said to, the tweet who cried wolf syndrome has to be there, plus everyone who updates their things all day long, even the people who actually have something to say for PR sake, will probably get lost in the mix or even not considered important because it is just one of the many messages of the day. I think it is kind of useless, but again I guess I just don't "get" it or maybe I just don't have anything important enough to say on it..which doesn't seem to stop anyone else.

Kathryn M said...

I think that like any other social media site, there are going to be those who use it for a good purpose and those who abuse it. I think it is all what you make of it, so I agree with both of you! I think it is a great tool for PR but it is flooded with meaningless comments. One plus to it is that it allows someone to obtain a lot of information without having to put much of their own on display for anyone to see!